The Bevel++ software is a Modeler plug-in. It is a beveling tool with some extended functions.
Quick Overview Video (Courtesy of Mike Green)
- Anti-Overlapping allows you to avoid the problem of overlapping polygons when beveling polygons with sharp edges.
- Group Mode treats the selected polygons as a group.
Note: Unfortunately, Anti-Overlapping and Group Mode can not operate simultaneously.
- Interactive Guide allows you to design a profile interactively to generate several bevel operations freely in a single step.
- Preset Shelf is available to save and load guides instantly.
LightWave 9.6, 10.1, 11.6, or 2015 (Windows 64bit/32bit)
(Known issue on LW9.6/10.1: In case of deactivating Bevel++ with doing nothing, a temp morph map of Bevel++ remains.)
Operation of Bevel++ is the same as that of the standard Bevel.
- Select polygons.
- Drag your pointer after activating the "Bevel++" plug-in. When "Draw Guide" is activated, please refer to the following.
Mouse Operation on Draw Guide
- Select Spline or Line at "Draw Guide"
- LMB click anywhere on viewport. This position will be a origin of guide line.
- - LMB drag the circular handles.
- CTRL+RMB click to add a circular handle inside.
- SHIFT+RMB click to add a circular handle outside.
- LMB double click a circular handle to delete the handle.
- RMB click to accept and bigin again.
Learn more about operations for multiple selections.
Interface (the numeric panel)
- Each : Beveling is applied to each selected polygon individually.
Group: Beveling is applied to the selected polygons as a group.
- "Group Inset" (Only "Mode -> Group")
- Similar: Inset is applied as keeping the appearance similar.
Edges : This method is same as that of an usual inset.
- "Average Shift" (Only "Mode -> Group")
- Selected polygons are shifted along the average of the polygon's normals.
- "Shift(+/-)", "Inset(+/-)", "New Surface" and "Edges"
- These functions are equal to the standard "Bevel" command.
- The number of bevel operations in a single step.
- "Invert Dragging"
- Dragging vertically allows you to interactively change the Shift amount.
Dragging horizontally allows you to interactively change the Inset amount.
- "Anti-Overlapping" (Only "Mode -> Each")
- The function to avoid the problem of overlapping polygons will be activated.
- "Keep Polygons"
- When beveling polygons, one-point polygons will be kept.
- "Draw Guide"
- The function to design a profile interactively will be activated.
You can select spline or line.
- "View Axis"
- The editing axes of Guide.
- The simple function that resize a guide.
- The function increases the detail of guide profile.
- "Straightness Limit"
- When subdividing a guide, if segment's straightness exceeds the limit, it is non-line.
- "Select Invert", "Contiguous", "Stretch" and "Center Link"
- Refer to operations for multiple selections
- "Add Preset" and "Add Preset As"
- The function saves a profile instantly.
- The profile is interactively applied to geometry.
Please select Off if the object is too complicated to operate interactively.
- "About Bevel++"
- Version information and LicenseID.
The demo version is available for evaluation purposes without charge.
The demo limits objects to 50 polygons and disables Preset function.
- Here it is as a zip file:
- bevelpp46demo.zip (v4.6demo/396KB)
- Copy "BevelPP64.p" or "BevelPP32.p" to your plug-in directory.
- Start up Modeler, choose "Utilities->Add Plugins", and select "BevelPP64.p" or "BevelPP32.p".
For information on adding plug-ins, refer to your LightWave 3D documentation.
- Select Additional tab, and it will appear as "Bevel++".
Bevel++ can be ordered now at a license fee of US$42 per dongle(or LightWave Lock ID).
Payments are processed through PayPal.
This version is a free upgrade for registered users. Please contact me.
Bugs & Limitations
- A calculation error causes overlapping polygons rarely.
- Group Mode
- In the case of an oval sphere, some waves are caused at "Method-Edges".
- v4.6 (Jul. 22, 2016)
- - Fixed an OpenMP crash when there is a conflict with other plugins.
- v4.5 (Mar. 08, 2014)
- - Added support for morph maps.
- - Improved processing of discontinuous vmaps on each mode.
- - Added displaying the values of shift and inset in viewport.
- - Added a help button about operations of guide.
- v4.4 (Oct. 05, 2010)
- - Improved the anti-overlapping algorithm for complex polygons(rotated texts, etc).
- - Introduced multithreading into the anti-overlapping algorithm.
- - Added "Average Shift" to the mode of Group.
- - Improved that a guide data of spline/line is kept during a switch "Off".
- - Added that "SHIFT + CLICK" to deselect a selected handle.
- - Added the setting of "Group Inset" and "Average Shift" to configuration file.
- - Fixed a bug that "Stretch" button had been enable in any conditions.
- - Added 32bit version. (note: the 64bit version is faster than the 32bit version.)
- v4.3 (Aug. 29, 2010)
- - Optimized for Windows 64bit and LW9.6.
- v4.2a (Nov. 27, 2003)
- - Fixed a problem that the setting was not saved in a certain case.
- v4.2 (Aug. 14, 2003)
- - Added "Size" that is easy to resize a guide.
- - Fixed a bug that could not refresh view when loading a preset.
- - Improved the handling of discontinuous vmap at "Each mode".
- - Added the turn of handles into preset data. It improves repeatability of loaded guide when reducing segments.
- v4.1 (Mar. 12, 2003)
- - Fixed a crash in a certain setting of Lightwave.
- - Fixed a vmap bug at Group/Edges.
- v4.0 (Mar. 08, 2003)
- - Added "PresetShelf", "Subdivide" and "MultipleSelection".
- - Added "Shift+RMB Click" for adding a handle outside.
- - Fixed a bug leaked memory.
- - Fixed a crash when closing the numeric panel and Bevel++.
- - Improved a function retains the setting.(A limited account is available.)
- - Fixed a vmap bug at Outer/Each and Group when adding segments.
- - Fixed a problem that forced selecting a morph map when some morph maps existed.
- v3.0 (Sep. 22, 2002)
- - Added Interactive Guide function.
- v2.3 (Sep. 07, 2002)
- - Added a function that can retain the setting of "Mode".
- v2.2 (Aug. 16, 2002)
- - Fixed a problem that caused a flipped polygon.
- Fixed a discontinuous vmap bug at Group Mode.
- v2.1 (Aug. 08, 2002)
- - Fixed #447error and some minor bugs.
- v2.0 (Jul. 29, 2002)
- - Added "Group Mode".
- v1.1 (Jul. 18, 2002)
- - Fixed an inclination of inset[+/-] and shift[+/-].
- v1.0 (Jul. 05, 2002)
- - Full Release version
- Beta 0.9 (Jun. 30, 2002)
- - Added support for outer setting.
- Added support for negative inset.
- Improved the core algorithm.
- Beta 0.8 (Jun. 23, 2002)
- - Added support for a shared point.
- Beta 0.7 (May 06, 2002)
- - Fixed #173, #187 and #217 errors.
- Improved the algorithm for text.
- Improved an unstable problem when using complicated geometry.
- Beta 0.6 (Apr. 25, 2002)
- - Fixed #191 Error.
- Allowed for a non-planar polygon.
- Beta 0.5 (Apr. 13, 2002)
- - Fixed a crash problem when using complicated geometry.
- Beta 0.4 (Mar. 28, 2002)
- - Added support for a shared point (at "Anti-Overlapping" OFF).
- Improved the core algorithm.
- Beta 0.3 (Mar. 16, 2002)
- - Fixed a crash problem which was sometimes caused.
- Beta 0.2 (Mar 11, 2002)
- - Fixed a VMAP problem of the point merged in beveling.
- Beta 0.1 (Mar. 09, 2002)
- - The First Edition